URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Save Handmade

12.16.2008

Save Handmade


I have taken notice of a big problem and wanted to share it with those of you who may be unaware. I've been mulling this over for the past few days, just itching to do a blog post about it when I found time. In pondering all those big toy recalls of the recent past..the lead found in toys, & not to mention the yucky phthalates and BPA in other toys and baby bottles - I can appreciate the efforts. BUT, a new law has been passed that intends to address these problems. It's called the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act, and it states that anything sold for use by children younger than the age of 12 must be first tested for lead and be phthalate-free. Wouldn't that be wonderful??

Well, there's just one major problem. It applies to handmade goods, as well. Like the stuff I make...and the bazillions of great wares on Etsy. At a cost of up to $1500 per item, lead testing would eliminate most handmade children's items. It would be devastating to folks like me who rely on our little hobby/trade to make some extra dollars! My other concern, in addition to folks like me going out of business, is that this regulation will take away the right of choice -- in regard to the types of toys and clothing we buy for our children. If handmade is illegal, then parents will be stuck purchasing mass produced items, with no no option for purchasing clever, unique, and safe handmade stuffs from me, on Etsy, etc. I don't like this at all!

Please take some simple steps to make your voice heard. It's important for all of us who make, sell, and buy handmade! Go here to do what you can!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only does it kill handmade, it kills second-hand. This law needs to be rewritten for sure. I already wrote my reps.

9:07 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Oh that is just horrible! What silly legislators put this through?

11:14 AM  
Blogger forcryeye said...

Good call! I would not have even thought of this!!! Yikes! I also agree with the thought that it could destroy the use of second hand items...which I love. If everything is so toxic...how is it that we survived this far? BTW...see my blog please for questioning...

7:36 PM  
Blogger TUTU Monkey said...

I am with ya...this is crazy

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home