URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Big Sister Gift

1.22.2008

Big Sister Gift



With my due date looming near(er), we're trying to include Kenzie in preparatory projects for the babe. She's helped paint the room, picked out our gender neutral clothing ensembles, and we made these little gifts for the baby.

This is a super easy project for kids:
1. Cut fine grit sandpaper into small portions (3x3's would work well). **I didn't do this and learned the hard way!!

2. Color an image on a fine grit sandpaper with your everyday Crayolas. Make sure and get a healthy wax build up on the sandpaper (Press Hard).



3. Lay the sandpaper, image side down on your fabric choice. (or directly on the onesie if you'd like to be done a few steps sooner!!) Iron the image well to insure the color is transferring.

4. Machine stitch around your image edges to give it extra whimsy, or perhaps, ahem...make sense of the scribbles? This here little guy is a FROG, by the way. :)



5. Attach to a onesie, t-shirt, pants leg, whatever. & Voila. It's an easy Big Sister gift to the new baby...

6. Set the color by tossing into the dryer for 20 minutes. Launder as usual.



We've another version of a darling but LARGE image of big sister holding the baby's hand. We also have an alien. (Yeah....don't know what we're going to do with that one.) But, we're going to frame the large sentimental image and turn it into wall art. I'll post a picture as it's completed.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Duh! Of course that's a frog. :)

I love this idea and I had no clue that melting crayon onto fabric made a permanent mark. How did I not know this??

Cute stuff, as always, Mrs Doodle.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

What a cute frog... and a great project to include Kenzie in!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Java Mama said...

Very Cute! We will have to try this project sometime. Thanks.

By the way - just read your comment over at my blog. Thanks. Three pets & two kids? Busy, busy!

Sam

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo - another idea I will file away for future reference. So cute.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Greta Adams said...

umm okay she draws better than me..what's up with that? lol

i am sooo lovin this idea and i will definitly be trying this out
TFS!

3:56 PM  
Blogger The Downtown Boutique said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. My 14 year old son loves to draw, and this might make a great project for him, as he is always wanting to help me with the business!

5:09 PM  
Blogger forcryeye said...

Very cute frog! What a great idea, I will have to try this!!! I am pretty sure I cannot sew the frog feet so well though, maybe alien feet.

6:23 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

oh, that's a great idea!

and hey, yo, aliens ROCK.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Kristen Borland said...

such a great idea! i've seen crayon pictures on fabric before but didn't know how it stayed on in the wash. tumbling in the dryer first is a good tip!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

I love this idea! I have twin nieces and nephews arriving in the next couple of months. My boys want to make them something and this is perfect!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous incolorado2 said...

My grandson just sent me his first self-portrait...your very creative idea will preserve it forever. thankyou!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home