URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Tutu + Tutorial = Tuturial

8.10.2007

Tutu + Tutorial = Tuturial

Okay, bad joke in the title. My apologies.

I put this tutorial for a super-fluffy "NO SEW" tutu together long ago, but it nearly got lost in the archives. I've been asked "a few" times recently how to design a tutu... So, here's a tutorial for those of you don't want to wrestle tulle, invisible thread, and a sewing machine in order to create the tutu of your little girl's dreams. It's so easy - a child can do it herself! (that is, if she can tie her own shoes!)

Step 1: Cut and sew elastic to form waistband. I use 20 inches for most of my tutus, which fits most kiddos.
Tutu Tiplet: If you wanna go all pro - there are even fun colored elastic cords that can be used instead of plain old elastic. Or you can use a belt!

Step 2: Cut AT LEAST 4-5 yards of tulle into strips. And, cut, cut, cut some more. I do some thicker strips, some thinner. I use 52" wide tulle, so if your tulle is less wide, count on more yardage.
Tutu Tiplet: You can use solely tulle. You can also add in streamers of ribbon, or other whimsies tied in here and there. You can use a solid color tulle, or alternate amongst a few different colors.

Step 3: Tie your strips onto the elastic. I vary the length of some, just to give it more poof and visual layering. Align your knots all on one side of the waistband, of course. They don't HAVE to be crammed together. As long as you use 4 yards worth of 52" wide tulle, the tutu will be immensely fluffy.
Tutu Tiplet: I put the waist band around my leg, slide up thigh-high..and it makes tying and controlling the tulle a lot easier!



Voila. An easy-peasy tutu in three easy steps (not counting the hours and hours of laborious tying BEST SPENT IN FRONT OF THE TV.)
___________________________________________________________________________________
Tutu Tiplet: If it's a tutu emergency and you'd like to save yourself the headache - there's always tutu offerings at The Doodle Factory . I don't sell this style, however. :)

***you can also make a mini-version and use for a pony-tail holder!

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes me smile. I wonder if Miss N would like a tutu?

(I also think that's one of your best tutu photos yet.)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

thank you sooo much! i think my gals can make these themselves!

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I will have to try this. Thanks for the Tute-tu!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Lyssa Beth said...

Ok I got a couple of questions! So does it matter how thick each strip is? What's an average size? And how long are they supposed to be? I know this is a "free for all" type project but it's good to know boundaries! But i'm excited to get started! Hopefully i'll get it down by Halloween :)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Kylie said...

Thankyou for this tutu tute Stacy. I have just whipped up one for Amelia as part of her christmas goodies. I only used 2yards - but I think that it still looks ok - and it is the middle of summer here so HOT HOT HOT and I didn't think that she needed it so full!

6:24 AM  
Blogger caligirl said...

Wow !I never thought it was a child's play...Now that I know how,it seems so obvious. Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing this with us . My 6 years daughter is a little frustrated with her first fabric experience (yo-yo making). I'm sure she can pull this off and be motivated (and proud of herself) again.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Natalie Meester said...

I am definitely making one for my 5 year old daughter. I love it! how wide was the tulle and how much yardage did it take to make one?

7:36 PM  
Blogger A.West said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I need to get my baby a tutu pronto for our Christmas photo shoot, and I definitely don't have time to sew anything, not that it would turn out, anyway! Thanks! (Not that this is a short project, just that sewing would take me years, lol)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i think i am going to make one of these for my daughter in soem cute fall colors and snap some pics of her with the trees and stuff as the background. such a great and easy idea, thank you!

jen

9:00 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

Hey! I used this "tuturial" for my Halloween costume, which so happens to be a tutu! I love it! Your directions are great! I put pictures of it on my blog! So check 'em out if you can! :)

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you weren't so vague about how to tie the tulle, or how large the strips should be. If you're gonna do a tute, you might as well do it completely. Otherwise it's not a tute, it's just an idea that you're sharing (an not an original idea to boot). You've left us to have to figure the rest out by ourselves. Thanks.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

anonymous: it's not rocket science. The tutorial was good enough to be published in a book, and many have successfully used it to create a tutu. The thing is..it need not be perfect. You can make your own decisions on how to resolve the issues you complain of. Or, you can choose to follow another tutorial on this "unoriginal idea"...

2:48 PM  
Blogger Kathie said...

Almost three years later and the title is still funny!! Heehee! Love it! Thanks

7:35 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Every once in awhile I get emails, flickr comments, etc. asking for more clarification on the strip lengths. Hopefully, this will help:

If you use the 52" wide tulle that is generally sold at the stores.. it typically comes folded in half when you buy it.
you can do it two ways, basically..

Lay your yardage down flat on the floor. It'll be longer than it is wide. Cut your strips from the raw edges to the fold...which will result in a 26 inch long strip, folded in half (52" unfolded). Leave it folded in half as they're easier to manage that way. Keep cutting until you've shredded the entire length of tulle into strips.

To make a long tutu, drape the strip over your elastic and tie a knot in the middle. You'll have two dangling strands, each a little shy of 26 inches long. Measure your child and trim these to the maximum length desired. (Ankle length is probably the longest & safest length to try, to eliminate tripping hazard). You'll want to trim each tied strip individually as it gets too unruly, if you wait until the end. If you make it this long way.. you'll need some more yardage to make it extra fluffy. You'll have to play this by ear as I don't make them this way and never have.

2. To make a shorter, tutu, which is like the photo above.... Cut each of the strips in the middle... so that you end up with two 26" strips. Then, I find it goes quicker if you tie two at a time. Just layer two so they are end to end, find the midpoint and tie in a knot at the midpoint on the elastic. This will result in a tutu that is shy of 13 inches long... which is just about the perfect length for most toddler - to age 6 (ish) little girls.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness i cannot wait to try this :) thank you so so much yours is beautiful :) hope mine turns out as good :)

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Tiffani said...

I just finished one in under two hours thanks so much for the tutorial u save our valentines day

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Paula said...

How do you get the strips of tule to curl up and stay curled up? Mine will be straight as a board.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

@ Paula... This should probably be credited to: Static electricity. ;) The pieces rub against one another and if the skirt is full, they will never lay perfectly straight.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home