URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Zipper phobia

2.09.2007

Zipper phobia


I have admitted to a select few that I have a zipper phobia. I have never, ever, tried to insert one into my creations. I even have a few projects that have sat on idle, while I considered alternatives - anything - that might work instead of using a zipper. Last week, I went to the craft store in search of a zipper for a skirt I made for myself. I thought it ought to be time to overcome this silly avoidance. Perplexed by the selection, which all seemed to be in excess of seven inches long - I emailed Kelli of African Kelli . She'd made some pouches with ZIPPERS & designed a tutorial, and therefore that raised her to a "knowledgable expert," in my books.

Kelli is one of my newer blog friends. She's full of whit, an excellent resource for a poor-cooker like me, a fellow non-eater of meat, and damn, is she quick on the email! She'd also scored a zipper stash off ebay and buzzed these right over to me. I doubt it's by mistake - but she even sent zippers that match the colors of my usual work. Heck, they even match my blog! That girl, is so thoughtful. Thanks Kelli. You're gesture & generosity are appreciated.

Now, with zippers in hand, along with some coaching from Kelli - I WILL overcome this pesky little fright I have about utilizing a zipper. I will also remind myself that each flub-up, is only a seam-ripper away from perfection. I've tripped and fumbled my way through teaching myself how to sew. I've avoided all the fancy machine "feet." I've never even tried one of the fancy-schmancy stitches on my machine.
It's time. Time to get better.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Java Mama said...

Oh Stacy, we may have more in common than you know. I too am a frequent relocator (more my husband, but where he goes I go). This will be move 5 in 9 years, but the first with children. Hmmm. Good luck with the zipper. Can't wait to see the skirt.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Zippers scare me. I've not put in a zipper since home ec class in junior high! Yay for you for confronting a fear.

9:15 PM  
Blogger beki said...

That Kelli, she's a good blogger friend to have!

You can do it Stacy, I know you can!!

4:59 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

I've only sewn in a zipper a few times, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Those were all home-decor things though -- a zipper in clothes might make me nervous. Good luck!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Kylie said...

I am i n the same vote as you - I have a skirt almost finished and really should pull it out - cause all it needs is a Z@# - see I can't even say the word - I really should get by grandmother to show me before she gets to old!!!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home