URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Chalkboard placemats

12.19.2005

Chalkboard placemats


Chalkboard placemats
Originally uploaded by mama's doodles.
I loved the idea of the commercially produced chalkboard placemats for children, but didn't want to pay for them (they were about $20-25 each!).

Here's my handmade replica - a set of four that will be given to my nieces. They are double sided, a pretty side (for their Mama)...and the chalkboard side (for the doodler's)...and they roll-up for traveling. I used completely non-toxic chalkboard paint.

I also included a piece of chalk, a felt eraser, and a shrinky dink pin labeling each one with the nieces name.

I really like how these turned out!! I love the idea of my sister-in-law leaving notes for the girls on them, or thinking of the girls drawing patiently while their Mom makes dinner. And, if they are chalked up and looking messy -- Voila, they can be flipped over and look decorative for unexpected company.

The only not-so-practical thing about these wonderful things is - they can be handwashed, but I don't think they should be thrown in the washing machine. I don't know how chalkboard paint would weather that ride...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo in NZ said...

Wow , these are GREAT! Did you paint fabric with chalk board paint?
I would appreciate it if you would give up your secret :)

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea !!!!!

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this idea, please tell us how to do it!!!!!!!! I don't know how I missed this post?????? By the way, thanks for all the sweet comments about my neice on my blog. She is a doll if I do say so myself.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you make amazing things. You've got a talent for color and technique - what a gift!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home