URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: 7 weird things

2.05.2008

7 weird things

I'm bored now that I've taken a hiatus from making tails and tutus at such a frenetic pace. To entertain myself, I've taken the liberty of sharing 7 weird things about me. I enjoy reading these about other people, and it gives me something blog-able..when I've got nothing else to share. :)

Here goes..
1) I was born during a tornado. In a linen closet.

2) In my teens, I was the last person three people talked to - who a short while later, committed suicide. All were separate incidents. One of them intended to take me with him, but I escaped on foot to where his car couldn't drive. He left a note stating his intentions.
And yes, all that drama has a wee bit to do with why I have a Master's in Counseling today.

3) I used to be a contract worker for Missouri Division of Family Services (DFS). While doing intensive in-home counseling with at-risk families: I had the bad timing to be in middle of a session and.. present for a drug bust. I worked with a family who purposefully overfed their kid, one who taught fire safety by burning their child, another who purposefully lead poisoned their kids, another who "hoarded" trash & whose walls were literally pulsing with cockroaches. (to name a few of my most heinous cases). I worked in rough 'hoods a lot & also heard gun shots frequently. I resigned from this job to move to California, but on my very last case & on Thanksgiving Day: I got a page from a mentally challenged youth who said his dad was beating him. Upon reaching the home to stabilize the crisis at 10:30 p.m. (yes, that was my job. FUN, eh??) the child was injured & so fearful that I grabbed him at the door and removed him promptly from the premises. (um...that wasn't part of my job). Turns out, according to the police, his dad was waiting in his bedroom for my entrance into the apartment. With a shotgun.

(okay, enough with the dramatic life threatening oddities, eh? Fortunately, that's all I got.)

4) The photo kinda shows what happened to me while pregnant (so far). The fact that my body can do this strikes me as supremely weird. But, I'm so thankful.
Overview at 12 weeks as compared to 36 weeks.

5) I can't remember the last time I took any type of medicine & I have an extremely high pain tolerance. I really wanted to try natural childbirth with Kenzie.. I'm SO not claiming that I could take the pain, but find it ironic that I won't ever find out if I could. Now watch...this time I'll actually need some pain meds during the C-section recovery. :)

6.)Beating dead horses is my expertise. I will research the cr*p out stuff, and in the end go with my gut feeling. Currently making me crazy: Bisphenol A .

7. I hate to wear shoes … so unless it’s absolutely necessary, I don’t. When I have to wear them, I go for flip-flops. I wear clogs mostly in the winter time, but it's been weeks since I've worn a pair of socks. I retrieved my paper this morning (after the snow had melted)... barefoot.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger laura capello said...

why do you need estrogen?

dude. crap. your (old) job. i use to work for casa and met some crazy people but i rarely went to their homes. gah.

i'm the same with the shoes. i swear some day i'm gonna run away to hawaii and never wear shoes or socks again.

5:32 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

oh. ignore the estrogen thing. i read on. duuurrrrrrrrr.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Alicia A. said...

Don't ever do that job again. We like you WAY to much.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

You should write a memoir. Good stuff.

6:36 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I think that's the best seven things especially because I know you and would never, ever have guessed you did that. WOW!

Cheers! LA

9:22 PM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

i'm with alicia. don't do that again. your current job is rockin anyway.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Kylie said...

Oh look at you and that baby bump. Must say that I am glad that mine has considerably shrunk over the past two weeks - And that I have a little bundle to love and carry instead of a big belly! You dont have long now - cant wait to meet your little one

8:15 AM  
Blogger Greta Adams said...

i wish i would have done something like this in my pregnancies...you look so good girl!!

and ummm yeah i must applaud you for the work that you did with those kids....it's such a devasting job to have to see that and to think people actually treat kids like that....actually it really pisses me off!! grrrrr!!!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have just posted the most intense 7 things in history.

I had a year where there was a rash of suicides, but I was not the last person they talked to, nor was I the target of a homicide. Scary stuff, my friend.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kristen Borland said...

w.o.w.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Wow... what a list! And I thought I came across some crazy situations while teaching... your job with family services takes the cake!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Michele Kovack said...

I just found your blog.....and I am speechless. How did you do it? I am a 5th grade teacher and have had just a fraction of the experience with this stuff as you, and at times wanted to throw in the towel. You are a special person.......

7:50 AM  
Blogger Java Mama said...

Whew - it is scary reading about your past encounters. I can't imaging living it. I bet all those little kids are glad you were there; that part has to feel good. Great pregnancy shots. You look good! Oh and the Bisphenol A - is there any escaping it? It is in nearly everything!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home